35+ Best American Dream Quotes Great Gatsby – 50+ Great Gatsby Quotes About Life, Love & The American DreamF. Scott Fitzgerald created a beloved piece of fiction in The Great Gatsby. We’ve collected some of our favorite quotes to commemorate this timeless classic.
F. Written and set in the 1920s, Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby is a literary classic that is not easy to categorize. At heart, you could say it’s a love story, but Fitzgerald intertwines this longing with epic parties, commentary on classicism, and existential probing.
35+ Best American Dream Quotes Great Gatsby
The title character, Jay Gatsby, represents the embodiment of the perhaps unattainable American dream. Throughout the story, Gatsby is shown again and again that wealth and disgrace are not enough to make him truly happy. To reach that level of satisfaction, he decides he must win the girl of his dreams, Daisy Buchanan. The plot is thick, the characters deep, and the prose unforgettably gorgeous. We’ve collected over 50 quotes from The Great Gatsby to illustrate the depth of this timeless tale.
Of The Most Romantic Quotes From Literature
Much of the intrigue in The Great Gatsby is built around the difficulties that arise when people from different walks of life interact. In the 1920s, class barriers were stark, and the so-called American Dream separated those who beat the system from the less fortunate masses. In Gatsby, Fitzgerald explores the idea of the American Dream and its myth. These quotes reflect both the reality of financial turmoil and the allure of the luxurious, glittering lifestyles of the rich and elite.
1. “So we win, boats against the current, endlessly pushed back into the past.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
2. “I like big parties. They are so close. There’s no privacy in small parties.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Pre Reading Activities For The Great Gatsby
3. “I was immediately struck by the number of young Englishmen dotted around; all well-dressed, all looking a little hungry, and all speaking in the low tones of robust and well-to-do Americans. I was sure they were selling something: bonds, insurance, or cars. At least they were painfully aware of the easy money nearby and convinced it was theirs for a few words with the right key.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
4. “Honey, most of these guys will cheat on you every time. They only care about money. I had a woman in here last week to look at my feet, and when she gave me the bill you’d think she took out my appendix.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
5. “The Montana copper deals that made him a millionaire many times over found him physically strong but on the edge of mediocrity, and, suspecting it, an infinite number of women tried to part him from his money.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Iconic And Famous American Fashion Designers & Brands
6. “He has a cracking voice,” I remarked. “It’s full of…” I hesitated. “His voice is full of money,” [Gatsby] suddenly said. – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
7. “He wanted his life to be shaped now, and the decision had to be made by some force—love, money, the indisputable practicality that was close at hand.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
8. “I bought a dozen volumes on banking, credit, and investment securities, and they stood on the red and gold shelf like new mint money, promising to reveal those brilliant secrets known only to Midas, Morgan, and Maecenas.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Of The Most Beautiful Lines In
9. “I’m still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of basic decency is unevenly manifested at birth.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
10. “Americans, though sometimes willing to be serfs, have always persisted in being peasants.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
11. “In the twilight of the enchanted metropolis, I sometimes felt a terrible loneliness, and I felt it in others, poor young clerks, who wandered before the windows, waiting until it was time for a lonely restaurant dinner; the young servants wasted the most at dusk. Shocking moments of night and life.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
The 53 Best Book Quotes, Ranked
12. “There are only the pursued, the pursued, the busy and the tired.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
13. “In her blue gardens, men and women came and went like moths amid whispers, champagne and stars.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
14. “They were careless men, Tom and Daisy; they smashed things and creatures and then retreated into their money or their massive carelessness or whatever held them together and let other people clean up the mess they made. – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby Quotes On Life, Love, And The American Dream
15. “You make me feel uncivilized, Daisy,” I admitted over my second glass of corked but rather impressive claret. “Can’t you talk about the crops or something?” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
16. “During my younger and more vulnerable years, my father gave me some advice that I’ve carried over in my head ever since. “Whenever you want to criticize someone,” he told me, “just remember that not everyone in this world has had the advantages that you have.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.
At its core, The Great Gatsby is a tragic story of love (both unrequited and passionate), lust, and loss. Spoken by various characters throughout the novel, these love quotes vary from heartbreaking to hopeful.
Flexform Lee Armchair
17. “I wasn’t really in love, but I felt a kind of tender curiosity.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
18. “I hope she’ll be a fool, that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
19. “Angry, half in love with her, and extremely sorry, I turned away.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Amazon.com: The Great Gatsby
20. “Even after that afternoon, there must have been moments when Daisy fell short of her dreams, not through any fault of her own, but because of the sheer vitality of her illusion… No fire or freshness could challenge what a man would hold. in his ghostly heart.’ – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
21. “His heart beat faster and faster as Daisy’s white face approached his heart. He knew that when he kissed this girl and eternally paired his unspeakable visions with her decaying breath, his mind would never again wither like the mind of God. So he waited, listening a moment longer for the tuning fork that struck the star. Then he kissed her. At the touch of his lips she blossomed for him as a flower, and the incarnation was over.’ – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
22. “For a moment I thought I loved him. But I think slowly and full of internal rules that restrain my desires.’ – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Great Gatsby Giveaway
23. “The thrilling wave of his voice was a wild tonic in the rain.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
24. “Oh, you want too much,” she cried to Gatsby. “I love you now, isn’t that enough? I can’t help the past.” [Daisy] started sobbing helplessly. “I loved him once, but I loved you too.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
25. “They had never been more intimate during their month of love, and had never been more intimate with each other, than when she touched his lips silently to the shoulder of his coat, or when she touched the tips of his fingers, gently, as if she were asleep.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald Quotes
26. “He never once stopped to look at Daisy, and I think he re-evaluated everything in his house according to the amount of feedback he got from her beloved eyes. Sometimes he looked at his possessions in awe, as if in his real and startling presence it was no longer real. Once he almost fell down the stairs.’ – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
27. “Once in a while I go naughty and do something stupid, but I always come back and in my heart I always love him.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
28. “He was also heartened that so many men had already fallen in love with Daisy, it increased her value in his eyes. He felt their presence throughout the house, permeating the air with the tones and echoes of still vivid emotions.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
Best Literary Quotes About Summer From Books 2023
29. “I can’t tell you how surprised I was when I found out I loved him, old sport. I even hoped for a while that he would throw himself on me, but he didn’t, because he was also in love with me… Well, I was too far from my ambitions, I’m falling more in love every minute, and suddenly I wasn’t interested; What’s the point of doing big things if I could spend a better time telling him what I’m up to?
What is the american dream in the great gatsby, great gatsby and american dream, great gatsby dream quotes, american dream in gatsby, great gatsby essay american dream, the great gatsby american dream quotes, great gatsby dream cast, gatsby american dream, best great gatsby quotes, american dream quotes great gatsby, american dream great gatsby, gatsby s american dream